Saturday, February 2, 2013

OPI Skyfall collection

I'm about to talk about a very masculine topic... nail polish.

Okay, so I know nail polish is mainly thought of a a girly thing, but actually, I've been painting my nails for years now, and I get so many compliments daily. It's actually a very rare thing for someone to say something negative about my painted nails. For me, it began as a way to quit biting my nails, but it evolved into more than that, it's become part of my identity and a fun way to express myself.

At first I was nervous and only wore black nail polish because I felt it was the color most acceptable for a male to wear. Then I discovered Sally Hansen's Emerald City, a true green green, which is my favorite color in polish form, plus it involved the land of Oz, which I love. I wore it for a few years until it was discontinued. At about this same time, a friend came over and saw my polish collection which consisted of the green, black, and maybe a blue, although I don't think I'd ever worn it. She said she was surprised that that's the only colors I had; she thought I'd have many more. She was right, I am more colorful of a person. So these two things coincided and forced me to expand my polish horizons, and now I have many lovely colors, and I'm no longer ashamed that something will be too girly.

So that leads us to what is meant to be the meat of this post, and that is OPI's Skyfall collection. 2012 was the 50th anniversary of the James Bond films, and we have a new film that came out. Many companies capitalized on this, OPI being one of them. Now if you regularly paint your nails, you probably already knew all about this, and in fact, it's a little late to be talking about this since it's getting more and more difficult to find these limited edition polishes (but they're now on sale at least when you do find them). I figure if you're a man (although I know most of my followers are female, and you can enjoy this too) and you wanted to start painting your nails but were too afraid it'd be too girly, well this is for you. It's a line inspired by mother fucking James Bond! Come on!

Now many of them are glittery, but that's cool. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing a glittery polish now, Live and Let Die. Glittery polishes also really get alot of compliments which in turn boosts your ego. Here they all are for you to see and buy. You can also get many great reviews all over the place online http://www.amazon.com/OPI-Skyfall-Collection-Living-Daylights/dp/B009I0LAAM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359784202&sr=8-3&keywords=opi+skyfall

I got three: On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Live and Let Die, and Tomorrow Never Dies. The first two are glittery, and the third is a bluish purple (purple can be masculine, y'all. It's the color of kings after all). They were my first OPI colors, which despite that I've heard good things about, I've never before paid more than $4 a bottle. Well, it's worth it. OPI is super durable. As my coworker put it, "You spend $3 on a nail polish and you have to constantly reapply and touch up and you go through it quicker. You spend $8 on a polish and it is durable so you use less of it and it lasts longer and is cheaper in the long run." Also I find that more expensive polishes generally need fewer coats. Live and Let Die is almost a 1 coater.

So now that I've convinced you to go out and buy all the skyfall collection (or what's left of it), let me just give you a couple of tips for you first timers.

1) Use a clear base coat. It will keep your nails from getting stained by the polish and even makes glitter polishes slightly easier to take off (though they're never going to be easy). I use Sally Hansens xtreme wear in invisible (it's just clear polish, y'all.)

2) before putting a second coat, lightly tap your nail you painted last. If your finger print shows, wait a little longer. Do the same of you have to do a third coat.

3) Get a really good top coat. I used to use the same as the base coat, but then I discovered Nutra Nail Speed Dry Top coat. It's really cool. It doesn't completely dry your nails in 30 seconds; I don't think anything can do that, but what it does do is it makes a super hard layer over top your nails in 30 seconds, and it's a lot more difficult to fuck them up. Also, before this, I used to do my nails before bed and then watch a movie, so they'd have like 2 hours to dry, right, and they'd feel dry. But when I woke up, all my nails would have the prints of my body hair on them. But this Nutra Nail stuff prevents that. it's really cool. I hear the Sally Hansen Insta Dry top coat also works really well, but this is what I found when I was looking for a quick dry top coat.

4) Go over the tips of your nails with your top coat. If you're a rough, this works to help slow down the chipping process.

5) carry a sharpie that is a close approximation to your nail color. When the inevitable time comes when it starts chipping, you can fill in the gaps with sharpie until you can get home and touch it up. Also, people aren't as observant as you think they are. They probably wouldn't have even noticed the chips, so the definitely wont notice the sharpie marks.

So there you go. Men, go forth and wear nail polish. You will have fun with all the colors, and you will get loads of compliments.

That is all,

The Notorious Dr. Dietrich

No comments:

Post a Comment